Monday, March 23, 2009

quotes

They are two completely different types of quotes, yet they are somehow strangely related.

I just read this frighteningly weird and wonderful book by Muriel Spark called The Driver's Seat. It is dark and hilarious. There is one part that I found particularly absurdly funny:

She drops her hand and looks at her coat which is stained with a long black oily mark. 'Look at my clothes,' Lise says. 'My new clothes. It's best never to be born. I wish my mother and father had practiced birth-control. I wish the pill had been invented at the time. I feel sick, I feel terrible.'

And then there's this goody from John Maynard Keynes:

"Long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead."

These two thing are in my mind as I go to bed. Does anyone even read this blog? I should probably rename it Tea for One.