Sunday, February 22, 2009

this is how it goes

  • My two index fingers hurt from typing. I really wish I had learned to type properly. When I was in grade school and I had to repeatedly type those sentences about gorillas being large gentle giants... well those lessons amounted to nothing. I am going to have two tough fingers someday. But for now they feel faint.
  • One-minute dance party, then back to work.
  • I used to not believe in outlines or notes for story writing, but now I think that they are essential. I carry around little Moleskine pocket notebooks and jot down snippets of conversation overheard on the bus, maybe something I saw (like a row of old dilapidated wheelchairs lined up behind a chainlink fence...I will use that somewhere,) sentences that I have mulled over and finally gotten right, ideas for short stories. If you don't have notes or outlines the task of writing can seem overwhelming. I guess when you build a house you don't just start throwing up boards and putting in windows whenever you feel like it. You draw up a blueprint, then you make the frame of the house using plywood, then you start adding onto it. The doorknobs and sink fixtures go in last. Clearly I am no architect or construction worker but, yeah... notes and outlines, I'm a believer.
  • I just learned that Sean Penn won for "Milk" which I am very happy about. I don't care about the Oscars but that's the only movie I've bothered to see at the theater in the last six months and it was wonderful.
  • I want to write forever, writing is the most transformative force in my life.
  • But it is hard. My fingers hurt.

No comments: